Confinement: Will I be required to remain at the facility for the entire inpatient stay?
Yes, for studies that include an inpatient stay, participants will need to stay at our site for the entire duration of the study.
Food/Drinks: Can I bring outside food/drinks?
No, outside food and drinks are not permitted. This restriction includes personal snacks for inpatient studies. Although not always the case, certain food and beverages may potentially interfere with the body's response to the study drug. To minimize potential risks, we do not allow outside food or drink.
Entertainment: Is there any entertainment available during free time?
Absolutely! We offer an entertainment room that includes a pool table, ping pong table, theater room, arcade basketball game, TV, mini-golf, computers, and more. Feel free to enjoy this space during your free time between procedures.
Laundry: Can I do laundry during extended in-patient stays?
Certainly, we provide on-site washing machines and dryers for your convenience.
Payment: How is compensation determined?
The compensation amount is determined based on the specific study's design, length and procedures.
To find out more about how compensation is determined for clinical trials, click here.
Payment: When will I receive payment?
You will receive payments throughout the study period.
Payment: How will I receive my payment—cash, check, or bank deposit?
Compensation was previously disbursed via check. However, we are transitioning to using ClinCard for faster payments. ClinCard is a reloadable debit card that will be used for your compensation.
Personal Belongings: Can I bring my laptop?
Personal Belongings: Will there be a locker or a safe for valuable items?
No. Unfortunately, we do not have lockers or safes for study participants. It is advised that you do not bring valuable items with you, and keep your belongings on-person as frequently as possible.
Confinement: What items will be provided ?
During your inpatient visits, we will provide:
• 1 pillow with pillowcase
• 1 fitted sheet
• 1 blanket
• Towel/wash cloth
Personal Belongings: Can I bring anything I want with me to the inpatient stay?
There are restrictions on what you can and cannot bring into our facility during inpatient stays. Below are items you may bring for your stay:
• Change of clothes for study duration stay
• Laundry Detergent (* Laundromat is provided. You are required to bring your own laundry detergent as needed.)
• Toothbrush/ Toothpaste
• Shampoo/ Soap (non-medicated)
• Beach sandals (For shower rooms and for convenience)
• Shaving Razor and nail clipper (* At check-in this item will be confiscated for safety. In order to use, you will be required to
check-out the item at the front desk.)
• Hairbrush/ Comb
Room: Will I have my own room?
Our Charge Nurse will determine room assignments based on factors such as gender, protocol, and age of participants. It is important to note that participants are not permitted to trade or exchange room assignments with one another.
Safety: Is it safe to participate in this study?
Any potential side effects will be listed in the informed consent document, which you must read during your screening appointment. If you happen to experience any side effects, our trained staff will provide you with the necessary medical attention.
Transportation: Will transportation be provided?
In certain situations, yes. Nevertheless, volunteers are also offered compensation for their time and travel, and this can be thoroughly discussed during our phone screening.
Wi-Fi: Is Wi-Fi available?
Yes, we offer complimentary Wi-Fi to our study volunteers.
Personal belongings: Are there any items that are prohibited to bring?
Yes, there is a list of prohibited items, which includes:
• Food, drinks, candy, and gum
• External beverages (including water)
• Containers (e.g., mugs, glass cups, hydration bottles, food containers)
• Medicated toiletries (e.g., aloe vera lip balm, dandruff shampoo, acne face wash, vitamin E lotion, medicated lotion, eye drops, etc.)
• Medications (unless approved for the study)
• Medicated nasal wash/spray/inhalers (e.g., albuterol, nasonex)
• Wax/hair removal products
• Bleaching products, hair coloring products
• Vitamins and herbal supplements
• Flammable/aerosol products (including acetone)
• Pornographic paraphernalia
• Large electronic items and furniture
• NON-string musical instruments (guitar is allowed)
• Sharp objects (scissors, knives, nail clippers, silverware, sewing needles, etc.) * If you do bring these items, they will be confiscated at check-in.
What is the age requirement for participating in clinical research trials?
To participate in a clinical research trial at Altasciences LA, you must be at least 18 years old. However, please note that each study may have different age criteria, so we recommend checking our 'Current Studies' page for specific details.
What should I do if I cannot attend one of the study dates?
Depending on the study, you might be withdrawn from the study. Yet, in some cases, we may be able to reschedule the dates to accommodate you. We recommend contacting your study manager right away if you encounter a schedule conflict.